Is Online Forklift Certification Legit? Essential Things To Know
April 9, 2021
Are you willing to learn forklift operation? Are you determined to become a licensed forklift operator? Then you should gain certain information that will enrich your knowledge. Your forklift training must follow all the rules stated by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
You may have come across various training schools that offer the course, but you are worried if an online certification is legit and satisfies OSHA rules. All in all, to get the forklift certification, you need to pick a prestigious institution and consider getting your forklift certification online.
What are OSHA regulations regarding online licenses?
Before ruling out online forklift certification, you need to know what OSHA regulations dictate. 29 CFR 1910.178 (l)(2)(ii) states:
- All the training schools have to provide their students with a combination of learning and instructions. Some of the recommended methods include discussion, lectures, interactive computer learning, written material, and videotape.
- The final part is an evaluation of how the operator is performing at the workplace.
As per these rules, forklift training is a combination of practical and theoretical class sessions. And undoubtedly, with online forklift training, it is not possible to complete both sessions.
Another OSHA regulation 29 CFR 1910.178 (l)(1)(i) states:
- Safety is important, and it can be achieved by completing the full course under the supervision of a qualified trainer.
The question is, how will an employer evaluate the operator’s competence? In an online course, the trainee will not operate the levers, steering wheel, switches, accelerate and brake pedals practically; instead, he will learn to use them theoretically, which does not satisfy the first regulation. Thus after an online training and certification, it is challenging to evaluate the operator’s skills.
The third and related OSHA regulation is in 29 CFR 1910.178 (l)(2)(i)(A) stipulates:
- After the operator has completed the training, a supervisor from the training school needs to confirm their performance.
The bottom line is that the trainer can evaluate the operator’s performance based on the classroom training. Operators are tested through an exam and practical training; the evaluation is done through a hands-on operation. The problem is that it is difficult to rate your expertise when training is carried out online.
However, if you want to know whether online forklift certification is legit or not, you need to understand that the online training and license can be part of the learning package and training course.
The argument is not authentic or not, but when 100% of the course is done online, it does not meet OSHA’s current 29 CFR 1910.178 standard.
What do employers do to certify their operators?
The best and recommended way would be to get a qualified trainer and arrange for in-house safety training. It will help to satisfy 29 CFR 1910.178 (l)(2)(i)(A).
- The trainer should be a senior worker, supervisor, or team leader. They need to possess extensive experience and knowledge in handling various powered industrial trucks.
- The responsibility to pick the forklift trainer lies on the employer, as it helps to know if the operator can deliver their duties. Ensure you avail all the training materials for the complete class session for the final certification. You can get the training kit plus operator card online.
- Look for a qualified training institution that offers that specific course. You can browse online to see training schools within your state.
What does an individual do to get the certification?
Look for a school that offers the course within the state. The course should take about a day or two, depending on the school’s coursework.
The course charges are worth it. You will get the chance to undergo physical training and have an evaluation. After the course, you can take a written test, and an assessment will be done as you clear the exam. After you pass all the tests successfully, you will receive the training certificate. At this point, you can use the certification to prove to your employer that you are competent to take up forklift roles.
The online forklift certification course attracts most forklift operators since it is convenient. The challenge is to get the training approved by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) regulations. It is advisable to take online courses and arrange in-house practical sessions from a reputable school with a qualified trainer. It is the best way to be certified to get your dream job as a forklift operator.